What causes a "CLIENT_UNAUTHORIZED [769]" login error?

I can log into my Lightsail instance using Putty with SSH. But when I try to login using the browser-based SSH terminal, I get:

Log in failed. If this instance has just started up, try again in a minute or two.
CLIENT_UNAUTHORIZED [769]

I tried stopping and restarting the instance, and waiting 15 min, but I got the same error. What causes it? I only have one SSH key for this instance, so I don't know why it would still work for putty and not work from the browser-based terminal.

• In my case is because I updated ssh, to solved it I created a new instance from snapshot.

asked 5 years ago3566 views
10 Answers
  1. To fix it, add following 2 lines to /etc/ssh/sshd_config
TrustedUserCAKeys /etc/ssh/lightsail_instance_ca.pub  

CASignatureAlgorithms +ssh-rsa  
  1. Restart
/etc/init.d/ssh restart  

Problem
Log in failed. If this instance has just started up, try again in a minute or two.

CLIENT_UNAUTHORIZED [769]

ziegel
answered 3 years ago
  • My /etc/ssh/sshd_config file was missing "CASignatureAlgorithms +ssh-rsa". Adding it fixed the connection problem.

I too was facing this issue and found the exact steps to fix it (comparing a lightsail instanced that was working)
This is without opening the other settings

Step 1) Download the default key
Step 2) Connect using a terminal app with that key
Step 3) sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
Step 4) Add Include /etc/ssh/sshd_config.d/*.conf
I put it around line 10 - there is a gap there between a bunch of commented items
Step 5) At the very bottom you should see TrustedUserCAKeys /etc/ssh/lightsail_instance_ca.pub
Add CASignatureAlgorithms +ssh-rsa on the next line
Step 6) Ctrl + X to save and exit
Step 7) sudo service ssh restart

The web terminal should now work

SFLWA
answered 3 years ago

Hello,

I have lost my default key and my browser-based SSH also not working. What can I do in this case?

Saad
answered a year ago
  • Was this LightsailDefaultKeyPair ? If yes, that can be downloaded again from Lightsail.

If not, you could create a snapshot the instance and a new instance from that snapshot. During this creation picking a different keypair will allow you to get access to this new instance and recover your data.

One possible reason for this error is the system clock on your instance being out of sync with reality. If that's the case, https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=812946 is a similar issue.

If you can login into your instance using PuTTY, please try checking the system clock. If it drifted too much, Lightsail in-browser SSH will not be able to connect.

If this keeps happening, please consider setting up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntpd on your instances.

AWS
answered 5 years ago
profile pictureAWS
EXPERT
AWS-SUM
reviewed 3 days ago

Over a year later, I know. I am having the same error, on a brand new Lightsail instance. The timezone, date, and time are set to mine, which is the same as the instance region. I am also running chrony to keep time in synchronisation.

answered 4 years ago

Same Problem here. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot!

answered 4 years ago

I had the same issue after I upgraded Ubuntu from 18.04 to 20.04.

I believe this is due to recent changes on ssh that stopped supporting RSA/SHA1 CA algorithm.
Although there is a risk, you can allow it explicitly for now. Maybe it's better to upload another public key.

https://sarunas-krisciukaitis.medium.com/hashicorp-vault-ssh-secret-engine-with-openssh-8-2-and-later-f7405ee55d19

choge
answered 3 years ago

This solved it for me. Thanks for the info.

answered 3 years ago

This solved it for me too, after an upgrade from Ubuntu 18 to Ubuntu 20. Thanks!

Edited by: RigaDorje on Apr 7, 2021 11:26 AM

answered 3 years ago

Thanks,
helpful

answered 3 years ago

You are not logged in. Log in to post an answer.

A good answer clearly answers the question and provides constructive feedback and encourages professional growth in the question asker.

Guidelines for Answering Questions