Unable to access Amazon Aurora database using IAM

I cannot login using the new IAM feature. I created an IAM user with the correct policy and I create a db user with the correct identified by. The only error I can find is 2017-05-02 21:23:01 7217 ERROR Authentication requires SSL encryption.. But SSL is enabled as far as I can tell.

This should work unless I misunderstand something.

mysql --ssl -u $DB_USER -p$(aws rds generate-db-auth-token --hostname $DB_HOST --port 3306 --user $DB_USER) -h $DB_HOST

What am I missing?

p6
asked 7 years ago757 views
3 Answers

I got a little further. Still getting an error.

mysql  --ssl-mode=REQUIRED --ssl-ca=rds-combined-ca-bundle.pem -u $DB_USER -h $DB_HOST -p$(aws rds generate-db-auth-token --hostname $DB_HOST --port 3306 --user $DB_USER)

ERROR 2059 (HY000): Authentication plugin 'mysql_clear_password' cannot be loaded: plugin not enabled

p6
answered 7 years ago

I've hit the same issue, returning the same error. Any ideas what I/We are doing wrong?

EDIT: I fixed this.
Add --enable-cleartext-plugin switch, after the ssl-ca switch, (ie, as the third option)and you should be good.

Edited by: JadenIRL on May 30, 2017 8:13 AM

answered 7 years ago

I was experiencing this problem, and the --enable-cleartext-plugin fixed it. It seems odd that everyone will have that problem and it isn't in the documentation.

Unfortunately having got past that, I am now just getting "Access denied for user 'NAME'@'IP' (using password: YES)

The token generated looks odd, in that it is a full URL. I would have assumed it would just be a token, so is there some other processing I need to do on the token?

NB I am using MySQL rather than Aurora but from docs the process seems similar.

answered 7 years ago

You are not logged in. Log in to post an answer.

A good answer clearly answers the question and provides constructive feedback and encourages professional growth in the question asker.

Guidelines for Answering Questions